One of the most common targets for cosmetic intervention is hair, whether the patient feels that they have too much, too little, or a combination of both problems. Unwanted body hair on any area of the body or face can be embarrassing, and leave the person feeling inhibited and self-conscious. Constant attention with waxing or tweezing is costly and painful. New aesthetic technologies make it possible to remove unwanted hair from any face or body area, leaving a smooth, clear skin texture, without the lumps and bumps associated with some other types of hair removal treatments.
Laser Vs. Other Hair Removal Methods
If you suffer from unwanted body hair, you may find yourself dedicating hours of your weekly routine to its removal. Shaving, plucking, waxing, and chemical removal methods can be arduous and even painful, and need to be performed again and again to maintain results. Shaving, for example, is an abrasive method that irritates the skin and whose results are extremely short-lived: within a day or two, hair is already growing back, often appearing thicker, darker, and coarser than before. That doesn't even take into account the irritation, itching and burning sensations in your skin during hair regrowth after shaving. Waxing can be painful and tweezing meticulous, and neither lasts long before you're back where you started. Over-the-counter chemical shaving replacements often irritate the skin and can produce unreliable results.
Only one method is known to produce consistent, long-lasting results: laser hair removal. Rather than just cutting the hair or removing it at the root, Dr. Kong's San Francisco laser hair removal treatment takes it a step further by targeting the hair follicle itself and preventing it from re-growing new hair. This method involves the use of brief, intense pulses of light that penetrate the skin and target the hair follicles, halting growth. You will be given a pair of goggles to protect your eyes from the bursts of lights, and a cooling gel will be applied to your skin to protect it from rising temperatures and keep you comfortable. Our Laser hair removal in San Francisco treatment is a safe procedure associated with only minimal discomfort, and many clients see permanent reduction in hair with only a few treatment sessions.
What Are the Benefits of Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal in San Francisco is a safe, effective treatment option that produces long-lasting results. Benefits of this non-invasive procedure include:
- Minimal side effects: Temporary symptoms, such as minor skin irritation and redness, typically subside within a few days.
- Long-term cost effectiveness: Laser hair removal may cost more up front, but it can mean significant savings in the long run when you no longer need to pay for wax treatments, depilatory products, razors, shaving cream, or other hair removal expenses.
- No hair growth needed for treatment: Unlike waxing and other hair removal methods, surface hair is not needed for laser hair removal. This means you can shave and remain fuzz free before your treatment session.
- Precision in treatment: Advanced lasers selectively target hair and hair follicles without damaging the surrounding skin.
- Quick procedure: Each laser pulse takes a fraction of a second to treat many hairs simultaneously. In one second, the laser can treat an area the size of a quarter. The upper lip can be treated in less than a minute, while larger areas, such as the legs, can take longer.
- Predictable results: For most patients, effective, long-term hair removal can be achieved in three to seven treatment sessions.
Laser Hair Removal Q&A
Does Laser Hair Removal Carry Risks?
Complications are rare with laser hair removal. Although it is very uncommon, people with darker complexions are more likely to develop blisters. Scarring and changes in skin color are also rare. More common potential side effects include temporary redness and swelling after treatment.
What Can I Expect in a Laser Hair Removal Procedure?
Before the procedure begins, the hair in the treatment area may be trimmed with scissors. You will be given goggles to protect your eyes, and topical anesthetic will be applied to your skin to make the procedure more comfortable.
A cooling device or cool gel will be used to protect your skin. Dr. Sheena Kong will activate the laser and pass a laser beam through your skin to the unwanted hair follicles. Heat from the laser targets the hair follicles to inhibit hair growth.
Am I a Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is a popular treatment in San Francisco that produces predictable, long-lasting results. Although advanced laser technology has now made it possible to treat some types of lighter hair, generally, this treatment option is best suited to individuals with pale skin and dark hair. You may be a good candidate for laser hair removal if you:
- Have unwanted facial or body hair
- Want long-term hair removal results
- Have lighter skin and darker hair for best results
What Is Recovery Like after Laser Hair Removal?
After laser hair removal in the Bay Area, your treated skin may look and feel like you have a mild sunburn, which typically subsides in one or two days. Cool compresses and topical treatments can help. You may apply makeup the day after the procedure.
The hair growing in the areas treated with this groundbreaking hair removal system fall out over the next month. Be sure to wear sunscreen during this time. You can return to work immediately after the procedure. Avoid strenuous activities, particularly contact sports, until any redness subsides and your skin is no longer irritated. Contact us today for arguably the best treatment of laser hair removal San Francisco has to offer.